Sunday, June 22, 2014

R vs. Excel and Access

In the Corporate Finance world, accountants and analyst often perform calculations over large data sets using Excel or Access.  

Typically a finance task will consist the below steps:
  1. Pull data from an ERP system
  2. Perform calculations and transformations on that data
  3. Prepare a presentation quality report 

Generally speaking, Excel is great for step 3- preparing presentation quality reports. Access, on the other hand, performs poorly on all three steps. I recommend using R to pull data and perform calculations, and then use Excel to prepare the final report.

The below table compares the performance of each software on the steps of a typically finance task.



Pulling Data
Performing Calculations
Preparing Final Reports
R
Fast. Highly scalable. Easy. See RODBC package.
Fast. Highly scalable. Easy. See SQLDF package.
Not implemented as far as I am aware.
Excel
Not scalable. Difficult to use.
Not scalable. Easy to use if approximately one to three tables.
Easy to use. Professional quality.
Access
Slow. Not scalable. Difficult to use.
Slow. Not scalable. Difficult to use.
Hard to use. Poor quality output.

2 comments:

  1. I want to share with you all here on how I get my loan from Mr Benjamin who help me with loan of 400,000.00 Euro to improve my business, It was easy and swift when i apply for the loan when things was getting rough with my business Mr Benjamin grant me loan without delay. here is Mr Benjamin email/whatsapp contact: +1 989-394-3740, 247officedept@gmail.com / 

    ReplyDelete